Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Big Sleazy

Had I written this blog a few hours earlier, it would have been a lot different, but having watched the latest episode of Agents of Shield and having a stomach full of jambalaya I'm much more content.

The day started well, as well any can that involves a visit to the hell dimension that is LAX. Tip, always add at least half an hour to your expected time there. The queues are horrendous. What wasn't horrendous was the flight to New Orleans. My only previous experience with Delta involved three days of chasing up my suitcase so expectations weren't high however they were excellent, very personable, funny and the service was great. In a three hour flight we had two full complimentary drink services (you had to buy alcohol) and almost all you can eat pretzels/peanuts and/or cookies. You could choose a combo or just one. The cookies. Oh my goodness the cookies. They are these cinnamon golden syrup biscotti dreams. I may have secured a supply for the next few days. 

Anyhow, so we arrived at New Orleans. Holy humidity Batman. There are actual tornado warnings for counties not far away from New Orleans, so it's to be expected and if that's the worst thing that's great, but ugh. I have no tolerance for humidity. None. 

The hotel is lovely, the room is petite but nicely furnished, and free wifi. Hurrah. 

However, we're not sold on location. It is right on Bourbon Street. The party street of New Orleans. (Our room is thankfully on other side of the hotel.) Yet unlike somewhere like Vegas which is also party all day and night yet still clean and safe feeling, Bourbon during the day is a trashy wasteland. Straggling people wandering around drinking, or beggars. Now I am a conservative, prudish, sheltered mid thirties princess so I may be overlooking the fun but I really don't think it would appeal to many people as we saw it this afternoon.

We did stop for a late lunch at Willie's Chicken Shack, as we felt fried chicken was a good place to start for our Southern food journey. It was good. 

We walked in the other direction and found other streets in the French Quarter that were more pleasant and walked down to see the banks of the Mississippi. Unfortunately while there we ran into a beggar, who poured liquid over Aaron's shoes (sneakers!) and started trying to shine them, while telling us it was going to cost $10 for a shoe shine. I hate confrontation and was feeling jumpy so basically threw $2 at him and we scurried off. At that point Aaron and I decided to just hide out in the hotel as we were feeling really flat. 

... Hang on... Wiping Delta cookie crumbs from the table...

After hiding in our hotel, while I watched Food Network and Agents Of Shield, we decided to brave the streets again and head out for a late dinner (our stomachs are still on LA time...and full of cookie). We ended up at a great Creole/Cajun restaurant called the Original Pierre Masperos. The building it is in was built in 1788, and had been used as a pirate hideout by the Lafitte Brothers and used by them to discuss the plans for the Battle of New Orleans with Andrew Jackson in the 1812 War. We had super delicious blackened jambalaya with grilled chicken. Delicious.

Oddly,  the area felt safer and nicer at night as there were more people around and the party atmosphere seemed appropriate. It was also still hot so we could wander a little (where there was light and people!) So we are feeling more positive about New Orleans now. It's still unlikely to be a place I end up really liking but I'm not sitting on the hotel bed feeling sad anymore.

Tomorrow we have a city tour and I'm going on a hunt for beignets. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment