Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mormons, Macy's and Mario

First - sorry for no photos today, I'm having trouble with the uploader. 

Today started with more arguments with Delta as my bag didn't surface last night as promised. I was told it was in NYC and I'd have it soon, two hours later it was never received in JFK and was still in LA! Eventually I started whining on Twitter and suddenly Delta seemed more helpful, I think my bag may be on its way to me now.  (Maybe. *Fingers crossed.*)

After that we realised that we had no idea when my bag would arrive, and the three tops I had weren't enough, so off to Macy's we walked. Ah, I love Macy's in New York City. They have an entire floor dedicated to plus size women's fashion and it's designer - Michael Kors, Calvin Klein etc all priced reasonably. It's impossible to find anything like that in Australia. As I needed mostly wintery clothes, I was focused on the end of season sale racks, where I picked up a jumper that was $79 down to $20. I decided that I couldn't face the idea that my bag was really lost, and didn't want to buy stuff that I'd never wear again if it showed up, so just bought enough items that can be rotated through my normal closet at home, including a dress that I really love. All of it was on sale or only $20 to begin with. So yay.

After Macy's we headed to pretty much my single favourite eatery in New York City - Ellen's Stardust Diner. It's a cool 50s style diner with singing wait staff. All of them are Broadway hopefuls and they're genuinely good. There is a former member of staff in the cast of every current Broadway show. My song highlight was Part of Your World from the Little Mermaid. I was going in to have their nommy Mac and Cheese with chicken, but noticed they had a dish named after Gene Kelly so I had to go for that!

On the way back to the hotel, we noticed a little crowd hanging around a block away, and there was clearly something being filmed, strolled up and saw Mario Lopez (Slater from Saved By The Bell). Goodness, he still looks like he's about 25, and very good for it. *Wiggles eyebrows*.

After hanging out in the hotel for a while, we went for a quick walk as we were heading out to see a Broadway show that started at 7. We walked next to Central Park to 5th Avenue, popping by FAO Schwarz and the keyboard from Big, and then we went into St Patrick's Cathedral. I must admit, I tend not to walk into churchs or cathedrals as I worry about being disrespectful to those who are using it for worship. However it was so full or tourists and so striking, we went in and joined the horde. Walked back to the hotel via Rockefeller Center and stopped at my beloved Ray's for gigantic slices of cheese pizza.

We then headed off to see the Book of Mormon, one of two Broadway shows we're booked to see. It is such a massive hit, we had to buy tickets for it last year! It was very good, very clever. Sometimes I  feel like Trey Parker and Matt Stone end up poking so much fun at everyone that they end up not believing in anything by the end, and sometimes they massively overstep the taste levels in my opinion, but this while pretty adult content was good, and I loved the ending. Unfortunately jet lag and a case of colic, made me either so sleepy or in pain so I couldn't enjoy it as much as I could but I did enjoy it, as did Aaron. On the way back, we detoured via Times Square for some night photos.

Off to bed now, hopefully there is a suitcase waiting for me tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment